So, for my independent project, I starved flies for two days and allowed them to recover for one week. I tested female fertility right before recovery began after starvation, five days after (a medium recovery time), and seven days after (a long recovery time). I did this by counting the number of embryos that were laid by the female flies, and then finding out how viable the embryos were by quantifying the percent of embryos that hatched in two days. From my results, I found that the flies were essentially infertile before they were allowed to recover from starvation. However, female fertility improved when the flies were given enough recovery time. In fact, the fertility rates of the starved flies returned to the rates of the control flies by Day 7. However, the percent hatching data was inconclusive, as my data suggests that starvation may not have as big of an impact on embryo viability as it did on fertility.
I can’t wait to share my experiment with everyone at the symposium!