After numerous hesitations about some researched topics (and multiple road-blocks over me getting the necessary materials), I finally decided to organize my research on studying the effects of prolonged exposure to the commonly used pesticide (2,4-D) on the development of larvae and female fertility. I settled on this specific pesticide due to just how common it is in its application and how easily accessible it is for the general population.
Since I missed the Week 6th class, I fell behind and had to start from the very beginning (sorting the flies and setting up my pesticide concentrations) while other students were already moving onto their experiments. I spent the week prior to my return to the lab in sheer panic and concern over the smallest things that may or may not occur (but that’s my general disposition to reacting to anything new). Yet all of my concerns were dispelled when I actually started my experiments. Thanks to enormous patience and extensive assistance from Dr. Leystra and Dr. Purdy, as well as the accompaniment of my peers, I regained my excitement over the project!
I’m looking forward to the upcoming weeks of this experiment!