On Thursday, I began my project by making stock solution with the different types of oils. This turned out to be rather complicated, as the solutions had to be very diluted to account for the flies’ small sizes. After making the solutions and mixing them with the fly food, I sorted my flies and made agar plates. I plan on using the agar plates on Tuesday when performing the Larval Memory Assay.
If there is one thing I learned from Thursday, it is how fast time flies when you have a lot to do. I found myself scrambling to finish in time, and had to ask a couple instructors to help (thank you!!). In future sessions, I’m going to try to be faster at the beginning of the session, even if it feels like I have time to spare. Hopefully this way I will be able to complete everything on time.